Clean Energy & Sustainability
The Clean Energy and Sustainability (CES) Program now offers workforce training in clean energy and sustainability at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
The CES graduate certificate comprises four courses, including an internship/practicum component.
Clean energy is one of the fastest growing sectors globally, according to Clean Edge, and Massachusetts is in the forefront of this trend. Markets and career opportunities are also growing rapidly in energy efficiency, smart grid, carbon trading, and related financial and professional services. In business, managers in every sector and every function, from operations and marketing to accounting and finance need to become knowledgeable about sustainability management and reporting. Similarly, this topic is increasingly important for people working in government, education, and nonprofit organizations.
With this growth comes new expectations for workforce education and training, and UMass Boston is paving the way. A joint venture of UMass Boston's College of Management (CM) and the School for the Environment (SFE), these programs also feature collaborative engagement with area businesses, nonprofit and social enterprise organizations, and other groups committed to building a more sustainable world.
Elective Courses (Select Three)
Available courses (select any three of the following):
MBAMGT 671L Introduction to Environmental Management
MBAMGT673 Clean Energy Entrepreneurship and Sustainability
ENVSCI670L Environmental and Energy Economics
(Or - ENVSCI675L Economics of Renewables: Marine & Energy Resource or ECON697 Special Topics: Applied Economics Practicum: Optimizing the UMass Boston Decarbonization Plan)
ENVSCI 674L/MGT 674 Climate and Energy: Law, Policy, and Management
(or ENVSCI718L Environmental Law & Policy: Federal Agencies, Courts, and Congress)
MBAMGT688L: Global Warming and International Business Management - Business and Climate
MBA AF 631 ENVIRONMENTAL ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE
Applications for the Clean Energy & Sustainability Certificate** will need to submit:
- Online application and fee ($60 domestic, $100 international)
- Official transcripts (completed bachelor’s degree required)
- Submission of TOEFL or IETLS score (required for all students that submit undergraduate transcripts where the national language is not English; minimum required score for TOEFL is 85 to be considered)
- Résumé (3-5 years of related work experience required)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation.
- Statement of Intent. Please express in less than 1000 words: Why are you interested in the graduate certificate in health care management? How will this certificate enhance your career?
- What is your experience in the health care field, and what problems and issues are you interested in exploring further?
You can find admission information about the application process at the Graduate Admissions homepage.
For more information on the certificate contact Dr. Veleva at Vesela.Veleva@umb.edu
**Please note the certificate does not meet eligibility requirements for issuance of an I-20.