The healthcare industry is growing rapidly. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the overall healthcare industry is expected to add the most new jobs of any U.S. industry, increasing its share from 12.0% to 13.6%, and adding about 3.8 million positions, between 2014 and 2024. The growth in health care managerial positions alone is likely to grow 17% during this period, a rate much faster than average. With an eye toward that anticipated growth, the College of Management Graduate Programs has designed the Healthcare Management Graduate Certificate to address the needs of professionals seeking to enter this industry, and to better equip those who may already be working in the health care sector.
The program is open to those with an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution and appropriate interests and work experience.
Students will take a minimum of five courses (3 required core courses and 2 electives) for a total of 15 credits.
Elective Courses (Select at Least Two (2) from the list below or other relevant courses)
MBAMKT 669 Social and Nonprofit Marketing
MBAMGT 667 Entrepreneurship
MBAMGT 684L Social Enterprise & Poverty Alleviation
MBAMGT 687L Nonprofit Management
MBAMGT 655 Healthcare Innovation
MBAMGT 698 Practicum
MSIS 632 Introduction to Health Informatics
MSIS 636 Healthcare Operations Management
GGHS 716 Global Health and Development: Concepts, Policies, and Practice
MBAMGT 696, MBAAF 696, MSIS 696, or MBAMS 696 Independent Study (Must be approved by the graduate certificate program director. Only three credits of independent study may count toward the certificate.)
Applications for the Healthcare Management Certificate** will need to submit:
- Online application and fee ($60 domestic, $100 international)
- Official transcripts (completed bachelor’s degree required)
- Submission of TOEFL or IETLS score (required for all students that submit undergraduate transcripts where the national language is not English; minimum required score for TOEFL is 85 to be considered)
- Résumé (3-5 years of related work experience required)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Statement of Intent. Please express in less than 1000 words:
- Why are you interested in the graduate certificate in health care management? How will this certificate enhance your career?
- What is your experience in the health care field, and what problems and issues are you interested in exploring further?
You can find admission information about the application process at the Graduate Admissions homepage.
For more information on the certificate contact Dr. Veleva at Vesela.Veleva@umb.edu